Friday, December 20, 2013

Funny..........

Isn't it funny how sometimes it's the little things in life that make us the happiest?  (Or is it just me?)  Call me a dummy.....but just this week it occurred to me that I could probably get some good deals on kids books through e-bay.  HELLO????!!! I must have been hiding under a rock all these months!  As many of you know, this whole envelope decorating fiasco started this spring because my 5 year old great niece learned to read before kindergarten and I decided to send her an early reader a week in a cute envelope.  One thing led to another and pretty soon, it was two books a week.  One was an early reader (we're up to the 2nd grade level now) and the other was a "series" book of some kind that her parents could read to her before bed and that she would eventually read on her own.  So far the A-Z Mystery series was her favorite.....but alas, we have gone through all 26 books in the series (her mom, being a former teacher had some already), plus 5 additional extras that he wrote.  Next, I sent a pirate series of 6 books......well, not quite since there is one yet to send.  She also likes pirates!  No girly-girl here, believe me!  So.....I have been searching for another series that she might like and I discovered "Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew"!  I "hit" my 2nd hand bookstore this week (which I have used in the past), to look for them, but they only had one.  THEN.....the light bulb went off........FINALLY......to search e-bay and I hit the jackpot!  In transit to me are 29 "Clue Crew" books (out of the 37 total in the series) for $54 including shipping!!  Can you believe?  Hello?  They're $4.49 each at Amazon.  I'm so happy, I could dance on a table!  YEAH!!!  More fun for me, and for Audrey!  (And maybe the postal people who seem to enjoy my drawings too from what I've heard!)  So...just a word to the wise....if you are looking for something....check e-bay.....or Craigs list.  You never know how a deal might make you a happy camper too!

Not much else going on here.  Just the hub-bub of the Christmas festivities.  I have a gang of 16 coming tomorrow afternoon/evening for appetizers, and gift opening and then my family on Christmas Day for brunch.  So many last minute things to do!  I'm sure you all know what I mean.  My sweet Toby needs a bath and grooming........



Such a sweet boy!  WHO, I'm sorry to say.........will remain our only dog for awhile, it seems!  You know I was considering that darling puppy, but my friend, the breeder and I have determined that he will be too small as an adult and might not even make the breed standard for weight.  I think she is selling him to a lady in Chicago who lives in a high-rise.  He will be perfect for her!  This was never a good time of year for me anyway to housebreak a dog!  It's just as well.

So, other than that, here are the envelopes for the week:









So, my friends.....until next week, Merry Christmas!  I hope all your dreams come true!  Love ya!




8 comments:

Ellyn said...

always love the envelopes. Has she discovered the Magic Treehouse books yet? there are lots of those too! my kids loved them at that age. Enjoy your Christmas!

Susan said...

Mery Christmas Carol.Enjoy your festivities and may 2014 be another wonderfully creative year.

Michelle said...

You might also try thrift stores, if you've got the patience to keep searching. I've had good luck there buying Goosebumps books for my boys. They're so hard on books that I won't buy them brand new.

Barb and Sharon said...

I've enjoyed looking at your envelopes so much I've gone out and bought some copic markers to have some fun over my Christmas holidays!
Barb@Witsend

Annie said...

It's been quite the mail art year! And very fun I might add. You've drawn and colored some wonderful envelopes and made a lot of people smile when we got our mail.

You deciding on a puppy is worse than people deciding to have a baby! lol

Dianne said...

I hope you had a very merry Christmas and are enjoying some quiet time this boxing day. Great news about the books; I can hardly wait to see the Nancy Drew inspired envelopes in the new year!!
Sending my wishes for all good things in the coming year!

Rettabug said...

You are going to have so much fun, doing envelopes to match the Nancy Drew series! A whole new world for you!
Did your hear postage is going up AGAIN? It will be 49¢ to mail a first class letter!!!!!!
I intend to buy a TON of the "Forever" stamps before that happens. Too bad they aren't the cute ones you use.

I hope your family festivities went off without too much fuss. i'm still recovering from mine.

Merry Christmas, Hon!!!!
fondly,
Rett

Dayquilt said...

I second the Magic Tree house books too, although she might be able to read those by herself by now. My daughter also loved "the Boxcar Children" series - family of kids solving mysteries.